Thursday, August 6, 2009

Entering the High School Zone

Samuel becomes a freshman at South Anchorage High School in just 13 days. A freshman. In thirteen days. Yikes. Soon the early (early) mornings begin. He'll have to be up by 5:30 at the latest to catch the bus at 6:15. Yuck. Our night owl son will be hurtin' for a little while, until his body figures out that going to bed earlier rather than later is what's necessary. His parents will be hurtin' for a bit, too, I imagine, as we navigate a whole new set of rules and processes.

Samuel and I tried to go in to register today. We had planned to hit the freshman picnic for a bit and then do all the registration-type stuff needed to make him 'official'. About 20 minutes into our drive, we hit a line of traffic. I was just thinking of calling Jim to ask if he knew what was up when he called me. The traffic was backed up because of a bad accident that resulted in two fatalities (sadly, the 5th and 6th deaths on the Seward highway this summer). The Seward Hwy. is the only way to get from Girdwood to Anchorage and emergencies like this completely shut down the road. There was no way the highway would open in time to register and make it to x-country running practice, so turning around was the only thing that made sense.

I called the school as soon as I got home and put a 'hold' on his class schedule. I also talked to a staff person who wasn't all that helpful but who did tell me that full registration wouldn't be possible tomorrow. She kind of blew off my concerns about how that might impact Samuel starting school and didn't seem to understand that we have no idea what to expect with high school stuff. I did ask some specific questions and got some answers, but I'm still pretty much in the dark.

So, I'll be off to SAHS in the morning to register Samuel. I hope. And I may just know more after I get there. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment