Tuesday, June 2, 2009

So I was wrong

This is my 100th post. I evidently had three drafts in my list of posts that I had never finished, so it threw off my post count. oops. Sorry Mom...your surgery post wasn't my 100th. But I thought it was, so that's almost as good, right? ;o)

In honor of this being my (real) 100th post, I thought I'd share my joy in having our best friends, Chuck and Julie Frost (and their sons Joshua and Jonah) here visiting.

A little back story: Jim met them back in 1990, when he was doing his 'am I supposed to be a pastor?' mission work in Alaska. Chuck was at Duke already when Jim started seminary in 1991 and I met them once we were married and I got out to North Carolina. We were all in the same circle of friends and spent a lot of time together. Jim and Chuck worked in the seminary copy room together and had ample time to goof off and make up silly games.

Chuck and Julie were in Alaska serving a church when Jim was seeking an Alaska appointment, so we came up in January of 1997 and visited in the winter to see what Alaska was like, toting 19-month-old Samuel along with us. We, of course, loved the landscape and the snow and couldn't wait to see if God would bring us to Alaska.

God did, and in the four years we spent in the same state as the Frosts, we spent as much time together as we could...until they left us for Georgia. *sniffle* (The state, not a girl named Georgia, you sillies.) Their departure left a pretty big void in our lives and we just never connected with anyone else the way we've connected with them. They are like family and are very dear to us and we have loved every second of their visit.

So far, all or some of us have:

relaxed
laughed
driven to Anchorage to run errands
laughed
watched and/or played baseball
hiked the hand tram trail (all of us)
laughed more
ridden bikes to and from the playground area (the kids)
waited for babies to settle in their new toddler beds at night
hiked the lower trails on the mountain (Jim, Julie, Julie and Jonah)
relaxed
gotten a little tipsy (well, I watched the other three adults drink a strong beer)
laughed a lot more
visited Seward (Sea Life Center, shops, gelato)
changed a flat tire (on the way home from Seward)
watched and/or played more baseball (all of us, and Chuck was the ump)
surfed the internet (currently all four adults are online...sad or funny?)

They'll be here for several more days...and the list, especially the laughing part, will get even longer.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are having such a good time with the Frosts. Please give them some love from the Indiana Doepkens. Enjoy your time together and take lots of pictures. Much love to you all.

    ReplyDelete