Saturday, January 31, 2009

One, Two, Buckle My Shoe (One, Two, Happy Birthday to You)

Earlier my two year olds (weird to say) were quibbling over shoes with little buckles. Abigail knew she was annoying Bethany, but she kept the other shoe out of her reach anyway. And grinned as she did it. Abigail puts on a devilish grin when she knows she's bugging someone. For someone who was running a fever and a total lump in my arms earlier, it was actually kinda nice to see Abigail being a stinker.

Here are a few highlights (and a couple of lowlights) from the little girls' first two years:

They were born only three and a half weeks early, which is good for twins.
Abigail was 5 lbs. 12 oz. at birth, Bethany was 5 lbs. 2 oz.
Bethany was born with club feet but casting and bracing have made a huge different and to see her run and jump and play, you'd never know that she has it.
Abigail had reflux and cried a LOT at first, but meds controlled it and now she's fine.
They were both slow to grow, but are doing fine now. Abigail is noticeably bigger at this point and I get comments like "oh, how far apart are they" and very surprised faces when I reply "four minutes".
They've been to several states (and DC) already (WA, VA, D.C., NC, PA, NY, RI, MA, MD, IN, KY, IL, CO and of course their home state, AK!).
They were baptized at 9 months, wearing the same baptismal gowns that Moriah and Susannah wore.
Abigail has been a monkey and Dino Flintstone for Halloween.
Bethany has been a snowboarder and Pebbles Flintstone for Halloween.
They began walking around 15 months, within a week of each other.
Elmo and Blues Clues became favorites a few months ago.
They both love to be read to, a highlight of my days.
Abigail loves veggies and Bethany loves cheese. Both love sweets.
They both love being pulled in their sleds and they both love 'no' (snow).
They adore their older siblings and sometimes cry for a sibling instead of a parent.

I could probably go on and on (and probably missed something major). I hope this gives a little view into their first two years. It's been a wild ride (starting when the ultrasound tech told me there were two in there again) and at times I've had to hang on for dear life, but I wouldn't change a thing, my dear sweet babies.

Happy Happy Birthday Abigail and Bethany. Thank you for two wonderful years.

No comments:

Post a Comment