Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter wrap-up

We all know there are puh-lenty of yummy secular reasons to enjoy Easter. If you looked in 'my' part of one of our kitchen cabinets, you'd see a whole slew of my seasonal favorites. (imagine guilty grin here) I do this at Christmas, too. Stock up a bit on the yummies that come out just at that time of year. In fact, I'm munching on some Mini Eggs right now.

I realized today, though, that I really hope my kids don't think I love this time of year solely because of the candy. I am pretty sure they know how important Easter is to me and why. But I wasn't sure they understood how important Holy Week was to me, too. So we chatted a bit about it on the way to church this morning. I told them that even if we weren't a pastor's family, we'd still be going to the Holy Week services. Because I feel that it's a little pointless to get all excited about Easter if you haven't taken the time to consider that Christ suffered and DIED. And it was all for ME. And my dear husband. And our children. And you.

Singing hymns this morning with a church crammed full of people was a beautiful blessing. We sounded great. But those joyful hymns wouldn't resonate with the same joy if we weren't celebrating the fact that Jesus conquered death. As one of my best friends 'facebooked' this morning, "Take that, death."

You got that right.

He is Risen! Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment